Cement is mainly classified depending on their grades. Cement grades determine the compression strength (mpa) of the concrete that will attain after 28 days of setting. There are about ten types of cement that is used for construction purpose. However, following are the five main types of cement which is widely used in house construction.
1. Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) 43 Grade Cement:It is used majorly for wall plastering works, Non-RCC structures, pathways etc. 43 grade cement attains an compression strength of 43 mpa (mega pascals) in 28 days of setting. Make sure that your 43 cement brand adheres to IS 12269 standard code.
2. Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC), 53 Grade Cement:It is mainly used in RCC and pre-stressed concrete of higher grades, cement grouts, instant plugging mortars etc. 53 Grade cement are used for fast paced construction were initial strength is to be achieved quickly. 53 Grade attains 27 mpa in 7days compared to 23 mpa by 43 grade cement. 53 Grade cement adheres to IS 8112 standard code.
3. Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC):PPC Cement has a higher degree of fineness, impermeable and corrosion-resistant quality that makes the concrete more dense resulting long lasting structures.It is used in mass concreting work as well as RCC work. Even though the initial setting time of PPC cement is low, it gains more strength with time. PPC cement adheres to IS 1489 standard code.
4. Portland Slag Cement (PSC):PSC is preferred over OPC grade in constructions where the structures are more liable to sulphate and chloride attack. Due to its excellent corrosion resistance, particularly from salt water, it is widely used in coastal regions, sewage disposal and water treatment plants. PSC Grade cement adheres to IS 455:1989 standard code.
5. White Cement:This cement is used in architectural and decorative designs, it is also used to fill gaps in wall tiles, ceramic bathroom fixtures. The manufacturing process of white cement is different and more complicated when compared to ordinary portland cement.
Apart from the above, there are other types of cement which is also used in constructional purposes.